Monday, April 28, 2008

John Hagee Rises Yet Again In My Estimation



I know that on many subjects, John Hagee and I are just one momma joke away from fisticuffs. However, recent developments, beginning with the McCain endorsement fiasco, have checked my agression against Pastor Hagee even further.

Hagee writes the following in an editorial published by the Washington Times:
My reaction to Pope Benedict"s visit may surprise some who have come to accept certain caricatures of my views of the Catholic Church. But as I have noted from the start, my critics have ignored the real point and strong emphasis of my words. I have indeed been quite zealous about condemning the past anti-Semitism of the Catholic Church. But I have been equally zealous in condemning Protestant anti-Semitism. Furthermore, as I noted in my 2006 book "Jerusalem Countdown," I have long viewed Pope John Paul II and now Pope Benedict XVI as partners in this "righteous work" of overcoming our shared legacy of Christian anti-Semitism.
And while most real anti-semitism that has been leveled at the Catholic Church by Rev. Hagee has been on the mob level (shame on you anyway, Ferdinand and Isabella), Hagee's charity shines through in this letter, and I wonder if Deal Hudson is smiling back warmly somewhere.

In closing, Hagee offers this appeal, which I think all would be wise to take to heart:
We were all inspired by Pope Benedict's visit. It is my prayer that we will now follow his example and look beyond our differences to see that when it comes to the great challenges of our times, people of faith have much in common.
Doff of the mitre to you, Pastor Hagee.

No comments:

Post a Comment