Sunday, March 8, 2009

Upon The Feast Of St. John Of God



Apparently even 16th century Granada had its economic issues, and the dilemma of giving alms while in need was something that St. John himself dealt with. Perhaps some of our readers can relate:
I work here on borrowed money, a prisoner for the sake of Jesus Christ. And often my debts are so pressing that I dare not go out of the house for fear of being seized by my creditors. Whenever I see so many poor brothers and neighbors of mine suffering beyond their strength and overwhelmed with so many physical or mental ills which I cannot alleviate, then I become exceedingly sorrowful; but I trust in Christ, who knows my heart. And so I say, "Woe to the man who trusts in men rather than in Christ."
St. John died from an illness he contracted while saving a drowning man. Sweet irony.

Author's note: if you google "John of God," you come up with this guy, whose feast we definitely do not observe today.

No comments:

Post a Comment